The second edition of Women Techmakers Vienna took place on the 7th March 2015. For this one day event me and my team worked voluntarily 4 months. Rather short organizing time and still the event was a full success! This was due to our driving motivation and commitment to the topic. Read more about the composing team on our website.
The success of the event was due to a combination of different factors. Fist of all was probably the motivation of the team, the wonderful venue at the Microsoft Vienna Office and the interest in the topic of the event which came from the community and the participants.
The agenda of the day was split in 3 tracks: talks, adult workshop and kids workshops.
Some statements from our participants:
- “my kids loved the children workshop!!!”
- “Was a great event, much more than I expected, will definitely like to be part of the next event.”
- “it was a very nice event to network”
- “great job! I had a great time, met wonderful people, and there was a lot of food for thought. I am looking forward to WTM 2016!”
For this event we decided to try something new: offer workshops for children. I met Horst Jens a while ago and he offers programming courses for children. He teaches kids how to program through games. Read more on his website spielend-programmieren.at. We had a round 17 kids at the morning and afternoon workshops and a lot of positive feedback.
At the main event we had 78 people attending. We were trying hard to attract a 50%-50% gender balance. Talking to the participants we understood that the name of the event had a lot to do with the higher number of females attending. There was a bias from the beginning such that people thought the event was female only. The goals we set out to reach, from the gender perspective were:
- 100% female speakers
- 50%-50% gender balanced participants
- at least some girls in the children workshops
You can read more about our Vision, Mission and Values we created for our event on the dedicated Women Techmakers Page on my website.
WTMVIE in the Press:
- We appeared in Fillmore magazine: http://www.fillmore.at/innovation/connect-create-celebrate-women-techmakers-wien/
- Wien.gv.at – https://www.wien.gv.at/vadb/Internet/AdvPrSrv.asp?Layout=VAErgebnis_neu&Type=K&ID=400379&return=
- Horst Jens talked about his experience at WTMVIE in a podcast: Biertaucherpodcast Folge 196: http://goo.gl/ufbWqx (also on youtube)